Monday, January 26, 2009

#19 0f 52 Projects




#19. One of the rules for creating a project is that a piece can’t be thrown out once it’s started. I nearly broke that rule during the creation of this one. Components: Needle punched roving, layers of brown, yellow, and blue that absolutely refused to blend together the way I wanted them to. I took the "what if" approach and ironed on a piece of gold painted wonder-under. Okay, sort of blah, "what if" the wonder-under is heavily distressed with a heat gun? Much better! Some of the blue was unearthed and the piece came to life. The black strip on the left is needle punched and distressed black kunin , a scrap left over from #12 . I seem to be in love with the dozen black painted foam hearts that were adhered onto the distressed felt. The three lines of satin stitching and edge stitching made the piece wonky so I took an iron to the piece which not only toned down the gold wonder-under but made the piece more cohesive. Who knew that heat would blend the layers so well?


Learned: Wonder-under can save a disaster!

Quote: Life is for most of a continuous process of getting used to things we hadn't expected.

2 comments:

Val Foster said...

This is very rugged/rustic looking. I like it. The background almost looks like rust.

The moral of the story is that experimentation is a good way to learn new things. You learned some things about heat and Wunder Under that you can pass on to the rest of us. Thank you.

I also love the hearts, and the way you finished the edges.

ART*ticulation said...

Well this one sounded like a huge challenge, but in the end it turned out really kewl. When I blew up the photo I could see all the luscious texture I suppose was caused by the heat.