Saturday, January 06, 2007

Rancho M.


We had an epic windstorm yesterday! The dust swirling across open land gave the scenery an "aged" look much like the photo to the left. We could certainly use some rain to clean things up!

Rancho M. is directly across the road from where I took some photos of the voodoo palm tree below. This is sort of how I envisioned the desert to look like until our arrival here 3 months ago. There are more planned gated communities than old homesteads so I figure that if I don't get busy and photograph the few I've seen they'll be gone soon.

I've been re-scanning cabinet cards that I'd purchased last year at the Antique Mall in Monterey (boy do I miss visiting that place!) and discovered that quite a number of them were missing. Three weeks later they've turned up. So much for organization! When I was unpacking and putting things away in the drawers in my new desk an entire folder of photos ended up with the stencils and cardstock. Good thing I needed some cardstock today. It was as if I'd lost family photos when I couldn't locate them. Six months after the computer crashed I'm still re-scanning things.

Postcards are proving to be an interesting challenge. They look simple, when in fact they take more planning than I seem to have patience for today. Maybe I should heed Einstein's advice: Things should be as simple as possible, but not simpler. Perhaps I should simplify my approach.

No comments: