Sunday, January 07, 2007

Postmarks

Collecting postmarks could be addictive! There are four postmarks on the altered piece on the right, two of which are new. The white Norwalk postmark is dated Dec. 1965. When I was packing for the "Move-of-the-century" I discovered a forgotten dusty Whitman's Sampler box full of postage stamps, first editions and a few postmarks. I didn't have much of a stamp collection as a kid but I'm glad that I kept them! Who knew that I'd have an interest in creating postcards, certainly not I.

The altered piece started out life as a photograph I took of a wood crate. I've used sections of the photographs in numerous pieces and probably will continue to do so. The postmarks were scanned on my fabulous new Epson 4490 scanner! And then turned into PSE brushes. I love brushes! I've started saving brushes in folders in Documents and opening them individually when I want to use one rather than going through the frustration of trying to locate them in the PSE brush palette. Simply 0pen an image and then define it as a brush. Course I've "enhanced" the images before saving them to use as brushes. I've been altering/changing images since my days of doing darkroom work when I used mostly black-and-white film.

A dangerous place to visit is Postcard offers is http://tinyurl.com/yemwon especially if you enjoy altering postcards. I made a few small purchases today.

If you enjoy listening to interviews with artists: http://ladybuglive.com/create-mac.htm

No comments: