Monday, January 01, 2007

Greetings 2007!


Perhaps the "dry spell" is over!? Since Aug. 14 I haven't been able to create or think about art and that was beginning to send me into fits of despair! Without time to create I become cranky and depressed! Thankfully, I was able to photograph both my old and new surroundings! Cameras have been my salvation since I was 7 years-old when I received my first Kodak camera. I can't imagine life without a camera.

My youngest daughter received a new camera for Christmas and for the first time in years I felt a pang of jealousy! She's never studied photography and will never use all the features on the camera. Then I began thinking about how my little digital Nikon has become an extension of my way of seeing and the jealousy disappeared.

Just before midnight I put some finishing touches on the mixed media piece I've been struggling with for the past few weeks. Or, at least I "thought" I had put on the finishing touches! Today I'm not so sure. Perhaps I need to live with it for awhile before deciding if it's truly finished. The piece was created with the "A2Z" theme in mind.

I've started a new art journal after a 4 month hiatus! I usually glue a 6x9 inch envelope onto a page for each month to store loose ephemera in. At the end of every month my oldest daughter receives a statement from the Ins. Co. about her prescriptions and it fortuitously comes in a 6x9 white envelope. Recycling at its best!

My move from the Monterey Peninsula to the Coachella Valley (ocean to desert) caused not only a dry spell of my personal work but also for the yahoo group I founded three years ago this month. But perhaps the dry spell was needed in order to generate a new approach to my work. In this case I'm leaning towards working on 4x6 inch surfaces that just happen to be a postcard size. It's said that collecting postcards is the third largest hobby; very apropos for ExpressionVillage's third year! Various techniques will be explored that can be used to create not only postcards but larger pieces as well.

My favorite collection of postcard art is Lenore Tawney's book, "Signs on the Wind."

No comments: