Saturday, August 16, 2014

Salton Sea - Egrets/Herons

On Thursday the blue of the Salton Sea was surreal and the perfect backdrop for
photographing egrets. I wasn't the only one who thought this small section
of beach was an amazing spot to photograph. I stayed up on the road while
a photographer with a huge camera and lens ventured down to the shoreline
to get closer to the birds. I would imagine that he ended up with some
sky in the photos. Shooting the photos from above eliminated the boring light
blue sky. 



 If it wasn't for a gazillion pesky flies I think I could have continued photographing
much longer. As it was at least 20 flies followed me into the car when I opened
the door. Buzzing flies made for an "interesting" drive home. 


For most of my life I've lived near the Pacific Ocean so you an imagine
my disappointment 8 years ago when I moved to the desert and first saw
the dying Salton Sea. Waves? Clean walking beaches? 
Non-existent. The stench of dead fish was
overpowering and the area that once dreamed of
becoming a tourist destination was more
dilapidated and barren than I was prepared for. 


  
It's only been in the last few months that I've become intrigued about the Salton Sea.
Last December was the first time in years I even thought about visiting it. My brother
was visiting and we needed a distraction from looking at Board and Care places for
mom. Sunset at the Salton Sea seemed to beckon to us.

• Egrets are commonly pure white in color, but herons exhibit various colors.
• Egrets have significantly black legs and yellow beak, which is not very common among herons.
• Herons prefer to perch on a higher place during resting, while egrets stand on the shallow water more often than not.



I barely got this shot just as I turned to get into the car, in fact I didn't think that 
I'd gotten it. I love how the Egret is walking with such purpose. Just
taking a stroll along the beach; almost human.

While I think this guy is nuts I will be following
along, via FB, on his trek next June around the Salton Sea.
116 miles in 6 days in temps that could
reach 120. Yep, he's nuts!
But it's for a good cause.
Follow along on FB.





1 comment:

Penny said...

lovely shots, sounds like an interesting place.