Friday, February 13, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day

#23 of 52 projects is a couple of days ahead of schedule. Hearts within hearts.

Components.: Red chiffon needle punched onto black kunin felt with a heart shape cut out of the center; I love the way chiffon ends up being distressed by the embellisher. Commercial fabric flecked with red hearts that was rust dyed with a metal heart. (The metal heart is metal flashing.) Copper wings with a patina, a purchased tin heart, and a tiny copper heart also with a rich turquoise patina. I tried to edge stitch this piece but the sewing machine didn't take kindly to the layers and kept freezing up. Oh well. (click image to enlarge)

Quotes: I don't understand why Cupid was chosen to represent Valentine's Day. When I think of romance, the last thing on my mind is a short, chubby toddler coming at me with a weapon. Author Unknown.

I claim there ain't
Another Saint
as Great as Valentine.
Ogden Nash

Who, being loved, is poor? Oscar Wilde

3 comments:

Julie said...

Very inventive and beautiful. Happy Valentine's! x

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much and Happy Valentines day to you Stacy and your Mom!

The metal does not look like metal at all! I really like the way it all came together....thanks again Gail.

queenopearls said...

Beautiful piece Gail!
The rusted heart fabric has so much depth it almost looks like a bowl!
The patina on the copper wings for the rusted heart are wonderful. What is on he heart in the heart in the heart fabric? It appears to be brass...
Thank you for the Valentine!
~Christina