Friday, October 20, 2006

Palm Tree Study #1


When all else fails turn a photo into a Virtual Rubber Stamp! It works for me!

I was driving around in circles on Wednesday trying to find my way to a grocery store that I shopped at last week and couldn't locate again when I glanced out the side window and saw a perfect row of palm trees. The traffic signals in this area can try the patience of even the most patient person, which isn't me, so I was able to rummage around in my purse, find the digital and aim it at the trees before the light changed. The photo is rather mundane but when pre-visualization kicked in I pretty much knew what I wanted to do with the image. Viola!

A Neil Diamond song characterizes Los Angeles as a place where "palm trees grow and rents are low." I just read that the palm trees in L.A. are currently threatened by a disease and that they are being replaced with oaks, sycamores and other native species.

Palm trees were originally imported from Latin America and have come to be synonymous with warm weather and movie stars. Palms are believed to grow like weeds and tower over buildings in a single bound; they don't provide much shade and they aren't very effective at trapping air pollution so why are there so many palm tree lovers?

No comments: