Thursday, June 29, 2006

What I learned from "Mixed Media Explorations."


Plum Crazy - revisited! A friend asked if I could create a card using one of my art dolls.

When I finish reading a new book I often review it by making notes about what I've learned from the book, or what I'd like to experiment with or in some cases jot down reminders of things I've forgotten.

Beryl Taylor's book "Mixed Media Explorations" is a book that has haunted me since it arrived from Amazon a few weeks ago! Her work is completely different from mine and I have no desire to copy her style, but there is something so engaging about her color palettes, use of simple materials, and approach that I knew I could learn something if I spent some time with the book.

So, this is what I've jotted down.
We all have "early years" on our creative journey. And if we change mediums we go through another "early years" phase.
Beryl grew up in England during the same years I was growing up in the US. We both made our clothes and we both discovered creative embroidery and while I dabbled with it Beryl studied at City and Guild. It was through C&G that her love of fabric blended with creative embroidery fell into place.

We're all inspired by different things and that once our imagination is sparked we should keep it fired by feeding it accordingly.
Listen to music that inspires and surround ourselves with exciting visuals. Beryl is fond of the Medieval period. Her favorite motifs are hearts and fleur-di-lis. (Mine aren't)

Beryl agrees with me about the importance of carrying a digital camera with you. You never know what might spark an idea.

She also believes like I do that it's a good idea to spend time experimenting with new techniques and materials. Keep good notes; you never know when a touch of a technique might be the start of a new piece or the perfect finishing touch. Practice new techniques by creating small projects such as ATC's, postcards, cards etc.

Paper really does complement fabric and vice versa!

Learn some hand embroidery stitches which will add character to both paper and fabric.

Some Fun Supplies Are:
Hot water-soluble fabric
Model Magic by crayola
Wonder-under is wonderful!
Kraft paper and tissue paper
Water-soluble paper by Solvy makes great paper castings

Beryl's intricate looking pieces are actually lots of small pieces that are combined! It's her attention to detail and layers that is truly innovative.

to be continued . . .

No comments: