Sunday, June 19, 2016

Sunday Sea Urchin Series/study


The temp hit 118 today! I rescued the above Cactus flower from the shade
before it wilted. Three other blooms didn't fare as well.
I  normally photograph the Sea Urchins in the
 garden; I prefer natural light.



I had plans for the day but the flowers "spoke to me." 
I tend to listen when photographs 
need to be made! 



The wilted flowers, above, are just as glorious as the full 
blooms are. I felt that they were every bit as much a gift
as the perfect flower was.


Macros of the wilted flowers.




While I have taken hundreds of photos of the
Sea Urchin flowers, aka Echinopsis, I rarely 
take macros of them. 


Studying the flowers from different angles  . . .
abstracting the flowers with a macro lens on
the iPhone . . 
New perspective!



I used only one app on the iPad to edit all of the images.
iColorama.


I ended up concentrating on macros rather 
than full frame photos.




I probably could have taken more than a dozen photographs
but in the end a challenge to create twelve forced me to 
think about each photo  . . .
Digital photography makes it easy to make numerous 
photos and then choose the best. I come from an era when film
slowed down the process, something I don't often do anymore. 



"To me, photography is an art of observation. It's about finding something interesting in
an ordinary place . . . I've found it has little to do with the things you see and everything to do
with the way you see them." Elliott Erwitt


3 comments:

queenopearls said...

Gorgeous photos Gail!!! Lovely choices and the macro shots are amazing. :)
I agree, digital photos are such a delight in oh so many ways.

Caterina Giglio said...

simply stunning, and the wilted ones are so amazing, you have such a great eye! xoxo

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Lovely assortment of these blooms. The fading ones especially capture curved and edged lines. Staying with the image and exploring this way and that brings planned and unplanned results. Possibilities!!!!