Saturday, October 04, 2008

Week #3 and a Bonus

In Jeanne Williamson's book "The Uncommon Quilter" one of the things she explored was netting. I often save the netting bags from lemons, onions, avocados etc, but had never used them. I nearly tossed this piece when I became disgruntled with it, but one of my "rules" for the 52 projects is that I can't toss anything out. What a dilemma! Netting to the rescue, not that I think this piece is award winning, but at least it's more interesting. What started off as a piece of rust dyed fabric with machine stitching in the lighter areas went awry; I had to remind myself that each project is an experiment and not a perfect piece. I couldn't figure out how to get the netting to stay in place but after going around the edges with black thread I discovered a close match of red thread and was able to zigzag some of the areas down. Probably the best thing about this piece is the lumpy area of netting near the right bottom where the bag comes together and left an open area where it frayed.

I never use napkins in my work, I have no idea why not, but one from the Montecito Inn with Charlie Chaplin's image on it worked quite well on a rust dyed piece of canvas fabric. Two more Chaplin images taken from a note pad along with postal-type rubber stamps and viola, an antique looking postcard. The reddish fabric is dye-na-flow painted. The fabric has lighter and darker areas, just the distressed look I love.


Quotes: Laughter is the tonic, the relief, the surcease for pain.
Nothing is permanent in this wicked world - not even our troubles.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. Charlie Chaplin


No comments: