Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Getting to Know . . .

Five weeks after "the exodus from the Monterey Peninsula" I'm in the midst of getting to know my way around the new neighborhood, learning its language and soaring temperatures, into the 90's!!, when yet another brick is added to the load! Alzheimer's! I'm not shocked but deeply saddened about losing mom this way! The usual gamut of emotions that any daughter would feel when the word is finally spoken out loud by a doctor has beaten me down until I can barely breathe!
Mom hasn't handled the move to the desert as well as we had hoped and if anything she's more agitated and lost. Large chunks of memory are missing and when each day begins I wonder what new person I'll be spending time with; she's definitely not the mother I once knew.

No comments: