Monday, January 18, 2010

Rain?


It never rains here in the desert of southern CA, at least that's been my experience. I'm wondering if I brought the wet weather back with me from the San Francisco bay area. I visited my guy in the Greenbrae nursing home last Mon-Thur. and encountered fog, sprinkles, and rain. I hadn't seen him since Nov. 22nd when he was moved north so it was imperative that I visit him. The trip included a few firsts such as renting a car and staying alone in a hotel all which I did easily. Worrying as it turned out was a waste of energy, but then it usually is.

The stroke was a bad one and it appears that it's going to take his brain a long time to rewire itself. He is physically strong and gets through his exercises without problems while I on the other hand can't keep up. It turns out that  he had been concerned about my finding him so when I walked into his room he cried and said, "I knew you'd find me."  If I could I'd visit more often but the trip involves leaving mom and Stacy in Redondo Beach with my youngest daughter and her family; their house is a three hour drive. Flying from LAX to SFO, renting a car, crossing the Golden Gate Bridge to Marin County, checking into a hotel . . . well, it's not a simple thing.

I can't believe that I didn't take one single photo, but then I was concentrating on getting myself everywhere I needed to go; being both navigator and driver isn't easy. When I got back home I saw my yard and view from my bedroom window with new eyes. Marin county is beautiful but there is something to be said for taking photos that no one else in the world will have in their collection. I know, poor me. Every time I look out my bedroom window I see mountains.


Yes, it is raining here, in fact, it's supposed to rain all week which will create problems, but when doesn't overkill? We've also experienced a few earthquakes lately and after the horrendous devastation in Haiti we're a little on edge about the tremors. Rain is good, earthquakes not so good.

The cactus is in a pot where I think that it will stay for as long as it lives. I'm not replanting it into the yard which was the original plan. I've had a copper bowl for decades that I used to plant succulents in until I realized how beautiful the patina is. The rain brought out a rich array of color this morning; glad I was there to photograph it.

It takes an earthquake to remind us that we walk on the crust of an unfinished planet.

Charles Kuralt

5 comments:

Caterina Giglio said...

so glad you were reunited and that he now knows where you are!
I wondered about the quakes in Ca after the jolt in Haiti, the earth is a living thing, and most people forget that..
went thru several SMALL quakes in Ca when I lived there. one knocked me out of bed and into the closet!
I landed on a pile of shoes! it was just a tiny one, but it always reminded me of the fragility and preciousness of life. blessings to you dear! xo

ART*ticulation said...

On the trip to see Roger, well I knew you would do it with no problemo! Some times we don't realize how strong we really are!!!
You are one strong lady, please don't forget that! when you go back maybe not next time, but as you get used to the trip, I have no doubt you will get some awesome photos.
When I look out of any window I see trees I 'm so incredibly lucky ...so we are both incredibly lucky people:>)

Julie said...

I'm so glad your trip was ok Gail, well done you! I hope Roger can eventually be moved nearer to you.

There seem to be quite a lot of unusual weather events going on at the moment. We have just had our hardest winter in decades. The last one I remember this hard was in 1962/3. The Earth seems to be flexing its muscles lately so I hope you don't have any more tremors. The Haiti catastrophe is beyond words.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photographs Gail! And I'm so glad the trip went well. You faced your fears head on- and you reunited with Roger- what a wonderful thing.

queenopearls said...

Beautiful photos and the patina IS gorgeous.
What a view!