Friday, February 08, 2008

Paint scraping

Another experiment on Trish's group:
http://trishbee.co.uk/?p=373


I've done this quite a few times; a few of first posts on this blog were scans of paint scrapings. The background for the Christmas postcard I sent out this year is a version of paint scraping. Rust flakes diluted with water makes an interesting paint and sraped on with gesso turned out to be exactly what I was wanted; a muted streaked background.

I watched a newly purchased DVD from Creative Catalyst last night. I've been a fan of Virginia Cobb's work since I purchased her book, "Discovering the Inner Eye," back in the 80's. The book has been out of print for a long time, sadly! I understand that copies of it have gone for 100's of $$'s! In the DVD, "Acrylic Abstract Painting: The evolving image," Virginia develops three abstract paintings. Her materials are basic and what she achieves using a brayer and a squeegee to scrape off paint is inspiring with endless possibilities! Into the studio I will go!!


Quote: Man is what he believes
Chekhov, 1860-1904

No comments: