Tuesday, February 21, 2006

A 2 Z Project.



My brain occasionally goes into over-drive! I needed another project like I need a root canal! But when Lynne Perrella's book, "al.pha.bet.i.ca" arrived I couldn't help myself! My work was already leaning in the direction of using alphabet letters and words on the pages in my journal, so why not do an in-depth exploration? After all I'm already working on a self-portrait journal along with a Paris one, plus my work-in-progress art journal and lest I forget, two RR type journals so why not fit in another project? Who needs to be sane?

"Decay" (collage above) doesn't seem to stand on its own as well as it plays off of the page to the left of it. Copyright rules being what they are I can't post that journal page.There are a lot of techniques and ideas on this journal page but I'll only comment on a few. The surface is a foreign text page with gesso over water color crayon. Newspaper words and text. Transparency of eyes. The main focus is fat chunky foam letters that were traced onto the center of the page. GPG, is a play on my initials and the town I live in which is often referred to simply as PG. The letters were traced with a pen and filled-in with oil pastels. I wasn't happy with the result so a layer of metallic wax was used to soften the harsh colors, but that wasn't pleasing either so I used a paper towel to scrap off the wax and to my delight some of the oil pastels scraped off of the paper allowing some of the foreign text to show through. Newspaper text was torn and glued over the hole in the "P."

No comments: