Friday, May 24, 2013

Memorial Day Weekend - Staycation/retreat

My daughter and family are heading for Carmel and San Francisco for the weekend and I'm feel nostalgic for Carmel. I lived in and near Carmel for over 35 years and nothing compares to the Monterey Peninsula!!! Rather than have a pity-party, which isn't hard to do these days, I've decided to treat myself to a weekend of pampering. I checked the freezer and happily I was smart enough to freeze some meals. I've already had a facial and nice long shower, made a delicious rich chocolate smoothie and am salivating over the popcorn that I'll pop in a bit. I found a recipe for a Doritos-like spice blend to use on popcorn. The organic popcorn has been measured and is waiting in the air-popper. I haven't found a movie to watch yet, but I know that instant-streaming on Netflix has something waiting. I found two books waiting on the iPad for me so I'm set for a nice quiet weekend of doing nothing but enjoying myself. (what plans do you have? share.)
   
The image above is a superimposed one of a tree photo that was shot last year on Memorial Day Weekend when Corey and family were here for the weekend. We went up the Palm Springs Tram for the view and dinner and the tree was backlit by empty sunset sky making it the perfect image to layer with backgrounds. In this case the background is a section of an abstract painting I just finished for the living room.

Be sure to leave a comment on the post earlier this month for a give-away that ends soon.

 Benjamin Harrison
I have never been able to think of the day as one of mourning; I have never quite been able to feel that half-masted flags were appropriate on Decoration Day. I have rather felt that the flag should be at the peak, because those whose dying we commemorate rejoiced in seeing it where their valor placed it. We honor them in a joyous, thankful, triumphant commemoration of what they did
.


1 comment:

Julie said...

I hope you had a fabulous staycation Gail, you'd earned it. We were away for the weekend at a folk festival in the Lake District and had a great time.