Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Against My Will


The cactus to the right came with me when I moved from Big Sur to Pacific Grove over 20 years ago. Will it make another trek? It was a small plant that has since split a couple of times and now is large and heavy. It practically shouts, "Stay away," at anyone who gets near it and is only to happy to stick one with its prickly torns.

I'm knee deep in papers removed from a rusty metal filing cabinet; I can't figure out how to dispose of the cabinet! Tossing out papers is cathartic and depressing at the same time! I used to have an interesting life, at least I thought it was more interesting than the last decade has been. A life-long chronic illness decided to turn my world upside down against my will and insist that I carve out a quieter life; to stop kidding myself that my immune system was going to repair itself and suddenly allow me to live the life I envisoned.

I ran across an article that I had clipped out of the newspaper in 1998. Cecella George had written, "You feel like you have the flu all the time. If I listened to my body, I would never get out of bed." That's pretty much how I feel most of the time and that simple statement was the kick in the rear that helped me find a new direction for my life. Albeit a much quieter life, but one filled with online friends and days full of creativity.

My illness is often an inconvenience! And to that I say, "So what!"

No comments: