Wednesday, June 29, 2005

The Keys Are Held By . . .



This is one of my favorite techniques. Duct tape, gesso, water-soluble pastels, thinned acrylic paint lifted off and metallic wax plus a little scratching of the surface. I consider it my secret and only I have the key to unlock the technique. Ha!

A couple of nights ago I was watching "Life Aquatic" and the right lens fell out of my glasses and when I couldn't find the screw to put it back in I thought, "So what, I can't see anything out of that eye anyway!" And then I remembered something I'd read recently in Robert Genn's newsletter:
Recent loss no problem
by Gail Siptak, Houston, TX, USA
"I am blind in one eye. I've been painting since the '60s and felt "in my stride" for the last 20-25 years. I see things, people, as compositions and ideas. I see through my paintings. If I had lost an eye (and therefore depth perception) when I was younger, it might have made work more difficult. As it happened a year ago, it has presented no problem. My mind is the painter."

"My Mind Is The Painter," what a marvelous gift that statement is!

No comments: